Saturday, April 14, 2012

Public Art: Gabriola Streets about to be more Colourful

The Island is going to change a bit in the upcoming month, thanks to the hard work of the folks on The Gabriola Arts Council. They've initiated some public art work, and I'm pleased to say that I've been one of the five artists selected to paint a hydro pole in my neighbourhood. Now, I've been busy trying to get in touch with the neighbours, brainstorm a representative image/theme for the area, and get the ideas going. I'm looking forward to this project (it's my first opportunity to be involved in a public art piece), bringing some more art to the streets of the island and creating some good neighbourhood energy, which is one of the reasons I love living in my neighbourhood.

If you live in the Islands View/Coho/Thomspons/Spring Beach neighbourhood and want to be part of this project, please let me know, there are ways that everyone can be included in this fun endeavour.

We have the pole painting set for Saturday, May 5th from 1pm on, and a pole celebration for all our neighbours set a little later in the day.

** The above photos is from one of the poles that were painted in Whitefield, to see their colorful poles visit http://www.mainething.com/ .

No comments:

Post a Comment